Stuff getting done

Checked off a few items since the last post. Patio…check.



Irrigation…well, started anyway.

Bathroom Update

Progress has been ok on the bathroom reno. Probably close to estimate on effort but calendar-wise a week long so far. Had to leave the project sit for 5 or 6 days so far in order to attend to some personal items and a couple days helping out on other projects when an extra arm was needed.

First up was some dry rot. While we didn’t know it was there I am not really surprised to find it. The shower head nipple pretty much just fell off when I grabbed it. Corroded completely through.

The other bit of unplanned work was to completely redo the laundry plumbing inside a new half wall. I don’t have before picture, let’s just say it was “rustic”.

Lost another day to the electrician and opening up walls for him will add a half day to fix too. Hope to be tiling in a couple days, depending on how the mudding goes.

Back to work

I didn’t do much in the way of projects last year. This was partly a COVID thing but not entirely. The things that caused this are beginning to rectify themselves. While certainly not totally resolved they have righted enough for me to get back to work.

And there is lots of work.

First up is another flagstone patio. I find these are getting easier to do as I get more experience with them but still not my favourite job. Better than stone walls, but only slightly. Rock days are hard days, and I go home stiff and sore and my back complaining each time.

You may recognize the stone wall. We did that one last year as part of a pond build.

Running concurrently with this one is the long delayed (at my request) bathroom reno. I got started on that one yesterday. New heated floor and tiled shower replacing the old tub that was there. Like in any case when you open up walls or ceiling or floors you take care of any other issues you find at the same time. For this project that means dealing with ants and bad insulation and replacing a couple of interior stub walls.

Tear out started

Finally there is the new greenhouse. We’ve been collecting the materials for this and now have all the pieces we need. Spring has sprung so there is a bit of pressure to get this one going. Not sure how I am going to to squeeze it in. I don’t want to put it off so we may have to do some split days ahead.


You know, nobody ever calls about a drainage problem in the summer.

Quiet Days

As we approach the shortest day I get less and less done in a day. Probably pretty common especially for us without office or indoor jobs. Heck without jobs at all.

With all that has been going on I have been turning down all opportunities to work on indoor jobs. Outside by myself is the current rule. I get enough sketchy exposure time getting groceries, thank you.

I did manage a quick turn around the yard the other day. The garlic is up about 3 inches. Cool. We are just now coming into frost days, and no snow so far. Not sure if that makes any difference. I’m new to growing garlic.

Spent a crap load of money on the vehicles in October and November. I was hoping that would be it for a while but I know it is not. The BMW will need brakes all around in the spring and the Chevy has a suspicious belt/pulley sound starting. May be a new alternator or water pump in my future.

With not much work to be done you might think I was in the shop. Nope. Haven’t been in there in weeks. I am not feeling it right now. I have a few projects I would like to make but frankly each day I could go over there I simply can get up the gumption to go. Now with Christmas getting close I find I would rather sit in front of the fire or try to find new recipes. Recipes are a thing now. We made major changes to our diet this spring and most of our old favourites are now verboten. Especially baking recipes. I am trying a lot of vegan baking recipes. So far the opinion is that vegan baking sucks ass.